- Research Name Research Scientist: Organic Chemist
- Location Los Alamos, NM
- Position type Full-time
- Posted September 6, 2019
About this opportunity:
Trait Biosciences is an emerging cannabis biotechnology company harnessing the best-in-class research scientists in biotechnology and cannabis R&D to change the face of the industry. Through innovative science and human ingenuity, we are unlocking the true potential of cannabis and hemp – creating naturally pure, water soluble, and pesticide-free products for the world.
This is an opportunity to join a multidisciplinary, highly dynamic team working on customized cannabinoid profiles from hemp plant extracts. We are looking for someone with extensive experience in phytochemicals or drug design.
About the role:
The Senior Research Scientist will establish project goals in relation to the company goals. The purpose is to achieve goals related to discovery, research, development, project support, and commercialization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- At the direction of your manager carry out independent research with tight deadlines to achieve project and company goals related to discovery, research, development, project support, and commercialization.
- Provide effective leadership for team technicians and research associates as appropriate in a constructive manner that leads to efficient research development including achievement of established milestones and associated timelines.
- Coordinate pipeline operations between research groups, track tasks, milestones and timelines, and maintain detailed and organized records of project data and materials
- Build specific detail guidelines covering all important aspects of projects and provide to employees
- Nurture strong communication and collaboration with other groups (researchers and scientists) as part of the project teams or similar projects
- Conduct research in the context of FTO and Commercialization
- Consult with supervisor, product development, and regulatory team to ensure research aligns with project and company goals
- Serve as the subject matter expert across the company
- Inside and outside of the specific projects assigned
- Collaboration and cooperation across projects
- Communicate science and research progress effectively to your peers
- Meet with your supervisor weekly to update on your work progress
- Demonstrate to your supervisor that you are current on the emerging scientific literature not only in your system but also in relevant emerging technologies
- Managing Research Technician or Research Associate performance
- Detailing scientific programming peers as appropriate including meeting schedules, tracking weekly action items, and other project management tools
- Ability to take responsibility for your subordinates
- Provide hands on training in the respective areas (lab, facilities, computer, etc) to team members and project team members
- Participate in investor due diligence and management meetings as needed or requested
- Ability to communicate science effectively, being it data or oral presentations
- Understanding the best way to convey information to any particular audience, being it a supervisor, colleagues, or investors
- Decisiveness – ability to make decisions in difficult or ambiguous situations when time is critical and ability to facilitate change in the organization
- Report on team scientific progress on a monthly basis using standard format
- Exceptional critical thinking, data analysis, and problem solving skills
- Fulfill minimum operational and facility duties as needed
- Performs other related duties as assigned by supervisor
You are highly self-motivated and energetic. You thrive in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment. You are detail-oriented and work efficiently with a sense of urgency.
In addition, you meet the following requirements
- Ph.D. degree with 5+ years of experience
- Preferably industry related experience
- Demonstration of excellence in scientific productivity through peer-reviewed publications in high impact journals as lead contributor
- Demonstration of innovative science productivity
- Communication Impact – excellent written and verbal communication skills Demonstration of excellence in directing collaborative research efforts and teams
- Demonstration of capability to work well collaborative and to transition efficiently to new and emerging projects
- Proficiency in writing and oral presentations